Introducing the EDR Retrieval Hardware Kit for Tesla vehicles. This kit contains all the hardware required to download the Event Data Recorder (EDR) data that may be stored in Tesla Model 3, Model S, Model X, and Model Y vehicles. This kit contains genuine Tesla EDR cables.
United States & Canadian Orders
Customers ordering in the United States and Canada can place orders directly online using the “Add To Cart” of "Buy it Now" buttons.
We currently do not sell the Tesla EDR Kit outside of of North America.
NOTE: Placing an online order will charge your credit card and will guarantee the EDR Retrieval Hardware Kit for Tesla will be shipped immediately when available. Once purchased, the hardware cannot be returned or refunded unless defective. You are purchasing the hardware only. The software required to download the EDR from a Tesla vehicle and the translation service is provided by Tesla (http://edr.tesla.com). Crash Data Group is not responsible for the software or translation service.
Software required to use the hardware is currently available at no charge from Tesla at edr.tesla.com.
Tesla EDR Hardware Kit
Introducing the EDR Retrieval Hardware Kit for Tesla vehicles. This EDR Tool kit contains all the hardware required to download Event Data Recorder (EDR) data that may be stored in Tesla Model 3, Model S, Model X, and Model Y vehicles. This kit contains genuine Tesla EDR cables.
What's included in the Tesla EDR Tool Kit:
- Tesla In-vehicle Cable: 1139996
- Tesla In-vehicle Cable: 1131145
- Tesla In-vehicle Cable: 1131144
- Tesla Direct-to-module Cable: 1094601
- Tesla Direct-to-module Cable: 1094602
- Tesla Direct-to-module Cable: 1492139
- PCAN-USB Adapter
- Power Supply Adapter
- Hard-shell Custom Case
Accessing the EDR Data
To access EDR data from a Tesla vehicle you’ll need a Windows computer, the EDR Retrieval Hardware Kit, and the Tesla EDR Retrieval Program.
Tesla currently provides a free online service at edr.tesla.com where users can generate reports from retrieved EDR data files. The user may upload EDR data files from their computer and generate reports in a PDF format. These reports contain important information regarding data polarity, application limitations, and other data limitations that should be reviewed carefully by the user in the context of the facts of a given event.
Guides for Retrieving EDR Data from Tesla Vehicles
|Model Configuration||Manufacturer Data Range||Retrieval Guide||Sample EDR Report|
|Model S||MFG before 2/26/2019||Download||Download|
|Model S||MFG on or after 2/26/2019||Download||Download|
|Model S||MFG on or after 6/10/2021||Download||Download|
|Model 3||MFG before 10/5/2020||Download||Download|
|Model 3||MFG on or after 10/5/2020||Download||N/A|
Download Tesla EDR Cable Reference Guide (updated October 2021)
EDR Data can be retrieved from all Tesla Model S, Model X and Model 3 vehicles. Tesla Roadster, which was produced from 2008 to 2012, is equipped with a RCM but does not have an EDR.
Accessing and retrieving data requires connecting to and powering the vehicle’s RCM. There are two methods for accessing and retrieving recorded data from the RCM:
- In-vehicle retrieval: requires that the vehicle is capable of providing 12 V DC power to the RCM and that the CAN connection between the CAN connector and the RCM is intact. Unless both of these conditions can be satisfied, direct-to-module retrieval is required.
- Direct-to-module retrieval: In the Model X and the Model 3, the vehicle’s RCM is located on the floor of the passenger compartment, under the center console and between the seats. In the Model S, the vehicle’s RCM is located on the floor of the passenger compartment, under the center screen.